International Women’s Day and Women’s History Month are a visible opportunity to celebrate the impact that women make in every discipline of design. It is also a time to acknowledge and challenge the disparity between the genders when it comes to wages, senior roles and representation. While MRU’s Information Design program graduates a predominantly-female workforce (as do many other design programs across the country), senior positions in art and creative direction, interface and interaction design, design education, and marketing are still male-dominated.
On March 28, we hosted a panel discussion exploring the gendered territory of Calgary’s design landscape. Our panelists shared the challenges they’ve faced as women in design today—and how they overcame them.
- Angel Aubichon, Entrepreneur at Indi City
- Susan Casement, Senior Design Specialist at United Way of Calgary and Area
- Cecilia Humphrey, Creative Director at Creative Capture
- Diane Mitchnick, Senior Programmer Analyst at The City of Calgary
- Michelle Priest, Senior Manager, Business Innovation at ATB Financial
- Chelsea Watson, Senior User Experience Designer at Evans Hunt
Presented by Dr. Milena Radzikowska, MDes, Associate Professor of Information Design, and the School of Communication Studies at MRU.